In response to our post on Canadian and American leaders of the past 50 years, 'MississaugaPeter' said...
"Maybe it will go full circle again with Kennedy (in Canada) and Clinton (in the U.S.), a repeat of previous president last names. But that would not be mentioned since your blog has yet to acknowledge Gerard's existence (in spite of him leading or second in almost every online poll that he is a part of)."
April 02, 2006 12:57 AM
So MississaugaPeter has forced our hand. He has forced us to answer the question, Why not Gerard Kennedy?
1. Aside from the Daily Bread Food Bank - a fine institution which Next Face admires and has contributed to in the past - what does Mr. Kennedy bring to the table?
2. He is bi-lingual, but so is Ken Dryden. At least he tells us he will be very soon.
3. Next Face has heard it said that Kennedy was born in The Pas, Manitoba and as such, maybe he can carry the 'western' vote. Next Face has been to The Pas. Ok...lets move on.
4. Then there is his "roll up your sleeves and pitch-in style, (and) hard-hitting critiques..." attitude. This is a direct quote from his website - we did not make it up. It is the kind of quote that appears on a bio for someone who realizes that their bio is rather thin on experience and short on accomplishment. Do you think Trudeau would have needed to add his "roll up your sleeves and pitch-in style" to his Legislative bio?
5. And lastly there is this. (Please see picture at right). His close proximity to, and by default his association with, Dalton McGuinty. Now how on God's green earth can that help anybody get elected let alone win a leadership race? Just ask Ben Chin and Judi Longfield.
From Wilkipedia : "...Despite his political inexperience, Kennedy became the front-runner to replace Lyn McLeod as leader of the Ontario Liberal Party in late 1996. However, Kennedy's inexperience and perceived left-wing ideology proved his undoing on the leadership convention floor where he encountered a strong "anyone-but-Kennedy" movement..."
Our work is done here.
As it stands, there are 3 Next Face candidates of record with Rae currently under serious consideration.