Some observations on tonight's taped addresses in no specific order...
• What's with the dark and ominous storm clouds graphic behind Peter Mansbridge's head? Did they mistakingly queue up the Hallowe'en set?
• Why did Peter and Keith get so pissy over the tape being late? Did Peter have a hockey game to watch?
• That smile to start things off really scared me. He looked too intense and clearly disingenuous.
• He mentioned the "Separatists" 4 times in his under 5 minute address, suggesting that they are part of the coalition. I am sure the fact checkers will have a field day with this one; more Orwelian rhetoric from a dishonest Prime Minister. Maybe he thinks if he tells the Canadian public enough mis-truths, that they may then be inclined to accept them as facts. Kudos to Peter and Keith for calling Harper on this point.
• He looks like he lost weight. Frankly, he looks defeated.
• You know, when Martin took to the air with his address a few years back, he outright apologized for the Adscam even though he had nothing to do with it. Not Harper. No apologies here. Only smugness, and feigned overconfidence in the face of the worst blunder in Canadian political history.
• ...and what is with this plea to at least have the budget heard in January? There was no budget in January until the coalition was formed and forced your hand, Sir. So don't give the Canadian people the impression that the opposition at least owes you and your party the tabling of the budget. Too little too late Sir, and again, a misappropriation of the facts.
• Surprisingly short and surprisingly NOTHING new to offer that we have not heard in the last 48 hours.
• Why did we miss the beginning of the tape? Why was the CBC unable to present this address in full?
• Did anybody else notice that Dion's face was out of focus and that the books behind him were in focus? So much so that I can clearly read the title of one as "Hot Air". Do you think someone might have had the sense to focus the damn camera and remove "Hot Air" from the shelf before the taping of this fairly important address? His image was also off centre, favouring the right side of the screen. Odd.
• We liked hearing about his letter to the GG, pressing her to deny any motion for adjourning parliament.
• We were happy to hear that Dion was going to work "...day and night(s)"
• We can see why many Canadians are put off by his english. "...Feuding..." sounded remarkably like "...Fooding..."
Overall, we didn't breath during either broadcast. Crazy times in Canadian politics and a lot at stake for both sides and for all Canadians.
Marvin the Royal Hamster conquers the kingdom
2 hours ago