Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kennedy Out.

We have taken the liberty of posting Mr. Kennedy's press statement below.
However, should you not have the time or patience to read it all and if you would rather read a synopsis, Next Face is pleased to summarize the text with the following two sentences:

"...I did not have the money nor the support to run an effective campaign against Michael Ignatieff or Bob Rae and my debt from the previous leadership run became rather prohibitive. Further, I felt that I could not allow myself to be put in a position to - once again - play kingmaker as I would have likely picked the wrong man for the job again and spiraled the party further into disarray..."


We implore Mr. Kennedy to do the right thing and move his support behind either Mr. Rae or Mr. Ignatieff. Show some solidarity, back a strong candidate and do what is right for the party.


Statement by Gerard Kennedy, MP Parkdale High Park on Liberal leadership
Source: Canada NewsWire
Nov 12, 2008 13:58
News release via Canada NewsWire, Toronto 416-863-9350
Attention News Editors
TORONTO, Nov. 12 /CNW/ - "Over the past few weeks I have received encouragement and support from hundreds of grassroots Liberals from across the country to run again for leader of the Liberal Party.

I have come out of these discussions, and the election itself, very energized to help take on the challenges that Liberals face.

The choice for me, however, is whether to embark on yet another significant campaign, or to work on behalf of Canadians more directly.

In the past two and a half years, I have contested an eight month national leadership campaign, subsequently travelled extensively to many other ridings and won a previously unheld riding following what proved to be a very lengthy run-up period.

On a personal level, my young family has already felt the impact of successive challenging campaigns. And, on a practical level, this contest has arisen quite suddenly after the election. Before and during the election, I had put all of my energies into supporting the party and Leader, not maintaining a leadership team.

While I greatly appreciate all of the confidence expressed in me and believe I could have mounted a stronger campaign than last time, I will not be a candidate in this leadership race.

Instead, I will focus on acting for Canadians and the people of Parkdale-High Park at a time of particular need, and on working hard in my riding and elsewhere in the country to ensure the Liberal party is renewed the way it must be for these times.

Canadians need the Liberal Party to be a strong Opposition, inside and outside of Parliament. I believe I can draw on my years fighting rightwing Conservative governments in Ontario to help compel the Harper Conservatives to confront the economic problems the country faces.

I am convinced that I can also help ensure the Liberal party will not be vulnerable to a snap election, by joining with Liberals to rebuild beyond the leadership race. I believe strongly that the parliamentary and membership wings of the party must do their part to ensure we have an open, effective and accountable modern political party ready to fully regain Canadians' trust. A change in a leader alone is not sufficient.

There is a growing recognition of the need for real change following the election. Each of the likely current leadership candidates have already spoken at some length of "renewal" of the party, the main focus of my 2006 leadership campaign.

I look forward to enthusiastically playing my part in moving the Liberal Party and Canada forward
."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that GK moves to Bob

Anonymous said...

You call that summarize . I call it a bit of a smear job. I'm glad i also read the full statement.

Anonymous said...

This 'summary' says a lot about the writer and very little about Gerard Kennedy. What is their to gain by misrepresenting Mr. Kennedy's statement? He's not in the race.

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled you took the time and wrote this post?!


http://coop-insurance.info